Winter energy bills advice from Citizens Advice York
February 12, 2019
York’s Citizens Advice service are providing advice and guidance on how people can manage their heating and energy bills during this period of cold weather. This is all the more important given that cold weather payments were triggered for several York area postcodes last week. I encourage any local residents with questions or concerns in this area to consider attending.
They can help with a range of things, including:
- Understanding tariffs and switching tariffs
- Information about energy efficiency measures and grants
- Benefit entitlement checks for eligibility and applications for Warm Home Discount (WHD), rebates available from energy suppliers and the Priority Services Register
- Help to understand billing, meter readings and payment methods
- Advice on dealing with fuel debt, including accessing financial support to pay off fuel debts through charitable grants, and ongoing payment plans.
Since October they have already helped 19 local residents to save money on their energy bills. Citizens Advice York can help find best deal on the market, and also help with switching supplier if necessary.
They emphasise that if you are on a standard variable tariff, you may well be able to make savings. Energy savings advice is available at all of their advice sessions across York.
To contact Citizens Advice York for more information, please call 01904 623 648 or go to www.citizensadviceyork.org.uk/advice